2 WHERE ARE YOU GOING ITA: THE SPANISH OMELETTE

THE SPANISH OMELETTE

Monday 26 May 2008



At first sight this is not a very impressive title, ultimately what importance has a "Potatoes tortilla"?



For me, very much, and I has it because it's the first potato tortilla I was going to make, but not only me, my flatmate too, he's not going to be spared from the culinary ignorance in the house.


Yesterday night, we decided to cook a potatoes tortilla to have supper, as both of us are very "machotes", we decided that the tortilla must be a spanish one, although we didn't know how to make one, in the end, it should be easy, eggs, onion and potatoes.


As we are single, and active members of this doctrine we both had among our possessions the book "cuisine for singles", so we opened it to page 89 and there, there was the valued recipe.


I really like about the cuisine, is not to cook, but to be a kitchen assistant, so shoulders to the wheel!. I began peeling two onions, although somebody disagreed saying taht there was too much.


Afterwards, while my flatmate fried the onions, I cut the potatoes in little pieces, but to take into account that the potatoes were fairly green, it was really a miracle.


Then, when all seemed well, we added the potatoes into the pan, moment that we took advantage of going to the dinner-room and playing a penalties round with the playstation.... Afterwards, we came back to the kitchen, the thing was going well, time to go for tabacco and to beat the eggs..... but the eggs, by my flatmate's point of view, I didn't beat them well, I didn't use the appropiate tool neither I beat the eggs correctly.


We came back to the playstation, we opened a wine bottle and finally I got to win a penalties round. How was our Omelette?


Igt was the hour to put the eggs into the omelette, my flatmate neither was happy with 4 eggs, by his opinion it was necessary 5 eggs, so put all the eggs from the fridge, if it is an eggs question, I'm outside of this decission.


We put into a saucepan all the ingredients and we mixed all of them, while we left the pan heating up in the fire, and when all was ready, the blend come back to the pan.


We have to wait until the egg curdles, although in that moment we realized that we didn't put oil into the pan, but there wasn't any problem, Alex grasped a plastic spatula and he tried to separate the omelette from the pan, when he got it, then he put some oil inside.


Now the most important moment of the tortilla process, the flip, as I don't Know how to cook, but I like seeing it, I communicated that the precise moment had arrived, so I passed a dish of mine and obviously I dodged the responsability to turn the omelette over.


As an intelligent way, Alex situated himself in front of the sink and at my voice, don't break the dish and try to save something into the pan to have supper at least a scrambled egg, he turned over the omelette and bingo..... He did it perfectly.


The Omelette is a little dark in the top, but we can't ask for a miracle if we didn't put oil in it.


Finally we finish the Omelette and here is our culinary critic:


a) We both like the omelette juicier, is a little dried up, but for our first omelette it's not bad.


b) There are not enough onions


c) The green potatoes are not bad


d) Taste not bad


e) If we put oil, we can get better brownish colour


f) The omelette is bland.... perhaps so much eggs?


g) Alex got to call the omelette by it's name. During all the process it was named as paella.


h) Perhaps some day I'll take the initiative to turn over the omelette by myself.




No comments: