2 WHERE ARE YOU GOING ITA: LA REINA DEL SUR

LA REINA DEL SUR

Tuesday 26 February 2008

LA REINA DEL SUR

Arturo Pérez-Revert



Editorial:
Alfaguara
Edition:
First 2002
Pages:
542
ISBN:
84-204-6435-X
Estatus: Available

Owner: Lizquies

"To Élmer Mendoza, Julio Bernal and César Batman
Güemes. For their friendship. For the corrido"

I had a book on the bookcase at home long ago, and to tell the truth until now I didn't decide to read it. In fact, I think that I tried once but it bored me shortly after beginning and I returned it to the bookcase.

Not long ago, my flatmate recomended a book to me, and he said to me that it was one of the few books he had read, and he liked it from the first sentence, so he brought it and read it to me. "The phone rang and she knew that they were going to kill her".

When I saw the cover I remembered that I had it at home and commented to him. I would read it. My other flatmate took advantage of the duplicate book to read it too, and to talk about it
afterwards.

Well, she read it already, and I have just finished, so we haven' t comment yet, but to tell the truth the reading hasn't been enjoyable.

I always like Pérez-Reverte because his tales usually immerse you in a new and unknown world, taking you into the story. This time I have been unable to get into the Teresa Mendoza character. Perhaps because the novel is very well documented and has rich vocabulary, and I can say this because I have been in Mexico for two months and that time gave me the chance to know great part of the lenguage is used in the novel.

I like the novel references to narcocorridos very much. From my holidays in Mexico I came back with some CD's and one of them was "Los Tigres del Norte", so it wasn't really hard to liven up during the reading with the songs of the old CD.

The fact is that, the novel is not constant, it hasn't kept my attention during all the reading
and I have read sublime chapters and others simply have been a turning pages, that is, the end grips you partially, the point is that, there is a moment reminded me to the American films that I hate so much.

Of all this, the main idea by my point of view is a novel based on a true story of a woman named Teresa Mendoza. That woman, has been able to control a male world as a narcotrafficker. She has been able to create a network around Spain, as the author relates, credibly and how from nothing she has got one of the main fortunes existing, although the way hasn'y been the best.



No comments: